file:///C:/Users/Tasha.Huebner/Desktop/google96fe44e4b6d98b3e.html

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Here we go 'round again

Dear California Department of Natural Resources:

Earlier today, I had the pleasure of visiting one of your fine national parks - specifically, the Malibu Canyon park - in hopes of partaking in the flora and fauna of the region while enjoying a bit of brisk exercise. And, partake I certainly did! For, dare I say it, many an hour. Now, far be it from me to criticize a national park service that I'm sure has many many important things to do - which includes developing signs that warn hikers against various sins and trespasses such as bringing one's dogs along, or alcohol, or otherwise engaging in nefarious activities while communing with nature. These were more than useful, as were the signs warning of mountain lion and rattlesnake danger - neither of which I saw, but useful nevertheless. Oh, and I truly appreciated the detailed maps in the parking lot, which showed a multi-branched trail system that apparently stems into Nevada and other neighboring states. Fine maps, those.

However. If I might suggest a modest proposal, namely this: you might want to consider in future NOT working with the Missouri Dept. of Natural Resources in developing your system of marking trails, because they too seem to have some work to do in this area, and I speak from experience here. Theirs stems from an inability to determine what a "loop" is, where one sets out and eventually winds up back in the same spot. This differs significantly from an "out and back," a distinction that those good people are still working on. In your case, I wouldn't quite say that the issue is the same. Rather - and again, I am in NO WAY denigrating your fine park system - you might want to think about the fact that an eager hiker, having looked at your extensive and detailed map in the parking lot, will probably not be able to instantly commit said map to memory. Therefore, when one is on one of those many many trails and comes to a fork, or even several forks at once, it might make sense to perhaps have a trail marker or two once in a while.

Again, I do not mean to criticize, nay! The sights that I saw, many times, as I hiked an endless circle of trails that wound in and around themselves and eventually began to resemble Dante's 7th Circle of Hell, were truly spectacular. In particular, the squirrels (which are apparently in season) were magnificent. As were the ducks - so exactly like those back in Chicago that for a moment, I felt so at home, even surrounded as I was by scrub brush and tumbleweeds. And dusty trails. Lots and lots of dusty trails.

a fellow nature lover,

Miss Tasha
- - - -
Monday evening


Going by the rule proclaiming that fish and houseguests become tiresome after a few days, I tell my brother that I plan to go on a road trip, in search of wildflowers and other forms of nature. Because of the heavy rains that occurred around here in January, it's supposed to be a good year for wildflowers in the desert, and I'm determined to see some of them.


Andrew: "Where are you thinking of going?"
Me: "I thought Death Valley would be nice. Do some hiking. Bike riding. That sort of thing."
Andrew: "You should try going north and west of there too - Mt. Whitney. A nice little climb, very scenic and pretty. You can stay overnight in Lone Pine, or somewhere around there."
Me: "Are there flowers? It's not too hilly, is it? The motels aren't too Bates-esque, are they?"
Andrew: "Nah, just a good little hike. Very peaceful, shouldn't be too many people this time of year. The motels are fine, just fine."
Me: "Ooh, that sounds like the perfect, relaxing little jaunt."
Andrew: "Totally! Oh," he adds as an afterthought, "there are some bears up there. Brown bears, I think. But they're very friendly - they're so used to people."
Me: "Bears? Aren't brown bears the mean ones?"
Andrew: "No, not at all! The baby bears are especially cute - you should watch for them. They're so playful and fun," he notes, smiling expansively.
Me: "Baby bears? Hmm..."
Andrew: "Trust me! We've seen them while hiking - they're adorable! Make sure you get an early start tomorrow so you have a LOT of time to hike. And the drive up there can be kind of treacherous- high winds and all that. Oh, and you might want to leave Big Boy here - you wouldn't want to weigh yourself down or anything."

Hmm. Far be it from me to be suspicious or anything, but......oh, piffle, how dangerous could it be, hiking alone up Mt. Whitney? Onward!

No comments: