file:///C:/Users/Tasha.Huebner/Desktop/google96fe44e4b6d98b3e.html

Friday, February 22, 2008

Alert! Danger!

I know most of you come here for accurate, up-to-date information as it pertains to all things fitness, and that you can trust me to be totally upfront and honest with you regarding the critical tools necessary to achieve the type of athleticism that I myself am known for.

However. It pains me to have to inform you that this trademark honesty is apparently in short supply on the Internets. I present to you Exhibit A, which I stumbled across while researching the Next Big Thing in “As Seen On TV!” exercise equipment. Yes, a site dedicated to such marvels: Fitness Infomercial Review. Oh sure, on the surface this seems like a great idea – after all, I can’t be the ONLY one reviewing such devices as I hone my training regimen. What concerns me is that unlike my own devotion to accuracy – some would call it an almost fanatical devotion - this person allows just anyone to post whatever they want as a review. Imagine the potential for any corporate shill to come along and sing the praises of the Abtronic, the Velform Sauna Belt, or even the Dr. Ho’s Muscle Massage System. I can see it now in boardrooms across America:

Corporate Suit, barking at underling: “Jane! Get one of those mewling interns in here!”
Mewling intern: “Y..y......yeeeesss sir?” (cowering)
Suit: “Look kid, I know you only have one year at HBS under your belt, but I’m hoping they managed to teach you Gekko wanna-bes something useful in that time. Do you POSSIBLY think that MIGHT be the case??”
Intern, trembling: “I....I don’t know, sir. It’s just Harvard.......perennially only about 6th or 7th on the Business Week annual list of Top Business Schools. I weep in shame, sir.”
Suit, mumbling: “One of these days, dammit, one of these days we’ll get a Wharton kid in here, I swear, as god is my witness....always #1 on the Business Week list....”
Intern, starting to weep: “Bbbbuuuttt....”
Suit, yelling: “Enough! Not another word! Just take that stupid half-MBA of yours and get over to this site, fitnessinfomercialreview.com, and start writing up some shill reviews for our Ab shaping products. And make them GOOD, do you hear me??!”
Intern: “........I....”
Suit: “What did I just say? Don’t TALK! No more whiteboards!! No “big picture” bullshit! JUST WRITE! And if you dare put anything in there about Porter’s Five Forces or that other mumbo-jumbo you Harvard kids like so much, I will have Jane bring me your head on a PIKE, is that understood?”
Intern, quickly putting whiteboard behind back: “..I..”
Suit: “GO!! And MAKE SURE you write something about Dr. Ho’s!!" (muttering) "Holy St. Joseph, when do I get to retire.........”

Consider yourself warned, gentle reader. I’m trotting off now to pen a letter to the FTC, in hopes that they’ll recognize this site as the danger that it is. I mean, my god, if you can’t trust random advice given to you on the internet, who CAN you trust?

No comments: