file:///C:/Users/Tasha.Huebner/Desktop/google96fe44e4b6d98b3e.html

Monday, February 11, 2008

A million tear-stained eyes

You never think it’ll happen to you. “Oh no, not ME, I’d never stray down that path, I’m better than that,” you say. You hear the warnings, about how easy it is to get sucked in, innocently surfing the web, but you ignore them. Because that’s just not your style. All that stuff is for silly, weak people who need to get a life, a real one, not a virtual fantasy one.

So how is it that one day you’re just looking around on google for some appropriate pictures to add to your blog post, and you click on one and suddenly you’re drawn into a world you never even knew existed, really. Or at least it’s one you never thought about much, except maybe in the abstract, knowing that it was out there somewhere. You find yourself totally absorbed, looking at one picture after another, enthralled by their beauty, their seductive yet playful ways, as they beckon to you, enticing you with their hypnotic and graceful movements. Promising you many things, and now you’re shocked to find yourself pulling out the wallet to actually sign on, to send real money to support this hidden, underground, shadowy world, inhabited by all kinds of charmers with a million stories to tell. That’s it. You know there’s no going back now. I’m thinking you’re all nodding now, knowing what I’m talking about.


Yes, it's true........




I’ve adopted a manatee.


Meet Lorelei, my new family member, adopted for a mere $35, and no trip to Florida needed. For that meager sum, I get a certificate, updates, a picture, and the satisfaction of knowing I’m helping a defenseless creature that’s constantly being abused by idiots in their speedboats. I picked her because while she does like to rest with her compatriots, she’s also known to “work out” on occasion, i.e. swim from one end of the spring to the other. At a glacier’s pace, I’m sure. You can see why I immediately knew we were kin.

Adopt your own manatee here: Savethemanatee.org

No comments: